Data Science Manager
Purpose of Role
Our clients vision is to be the world leader in sports betting and gaming entertainment by creating the most exciting and trusted experience for our customers, revolutionising the gambling space as we go. We’re home to a global family of more than 25 well-known brands, and with a focus on sustainability and growth, we will transform our sector for our players, for ourselves and for the good of entertainment.
We welcome you to join a young and vibrant team of data scientists and data engineers excited to use state of the art Google Cloud technology and the most advanced Machine Learning techniques to make a real impact to the business. Bring your ideas, drive, team spirit and love of data science and let’s get started!
We are a global team central to Entain, building intelligent automated decisioning tools, across all our geographies and brands, to acquire, retain and engage our customers. This gives us a vast range of opportunities to work on, and our work is paramount to the company’s vision and success. You can choose one of our offices in London, Vienna or Gibraltar. You will benefit from access to learning resources and conferences and be part of a fun and inspirational work environment, enjoying monthly free office breakfast and drinks.
We are looking for a Data Science Manager with experience in CRM advanced analytics, including predictive modelling for churn, customer lifetime value, cross sell, and forecasting. Our analytics and models are used in CRM targeting, to personalise and automate communications, offers and digital content for our customers.
You will lead a team that help us discover the information hidden in vast amounts of data and help us make smarter decisions to manage our customers better and deliver even better products. Your team’s primary focus will be in applying data mining techniques, doing statistical analysis, and building high quality prediction systems that fulfil our marketing strategy and are fully integrated with our products and processes. You will work with stakeholders around the globe to help them understand, test and adopt our models.
You will be responsible for the following main activities:
- Lead a team of three data scientists and senior data scientists
- Thought leadership and team leadership – be an example and mentor for the team
- Technically lead on data science projects
- Be a trusted advisor within the Entain data science team and the wider stakeholder’s community
- Propose original advanced analytics solutions and strategies to business challenges
- Translate business problems into data science approaches and help the business understand those
- Build and support your team to build Machine Learning models and advanced analytics solutions
- Put forward opportunities that can be solved through advanced analytics and work to develop these
- Contribute to the monitoring of our models and solutions
- Perform peer QA-ing on advanced analytics activities
- Extract valuable business insights and provide recommendations based on those insights
- Present your and your team’s findings and recommendations in a visually appealing way to senior stakeholders
- Play a role in deciding how to operationalise the data science strategy for the group
- Communicate with stakeholders (BI analysts, business experts, senior leaders, etc.) and educate them in data science and machine learning subjects
- Collaborate with the Data, Marketing, Platform and Product teams to ensure our models are made available via all the platforms and channels
- Ensure the correct integration of our models in existing platforms and systems to support our 3 years strategy
Occasional travel to a few other Entain offices would be required (e.g. twice per quarter).
Specialist Skills and Experience
- Proficient in the application of data science concepts in CRM and other business areas
- Strong data science understanding and experience
- Proficient in the use of SQL and Python
- Proficient in the use of Excel and Tableau
- Experience in CRM modelling – churn, propensities, cross-sell, etc.
- Experience in working with vast amounts of data to detect trends and patterns
- Proficient in translating business needs into technical data science requirements
- Analytics mind-set skill with the ability to turn a business question / problem into an analytics plan, deciding on what data to use, how to transform it, what methods / models to apply, how to turn the outcome into usable, actionable output
- Familiarity with A/B testing techniques and prototyping
- Pragmatic thinking & high degree of attention to detail
- Good understanding of the end to end Machine Learning (ML) environment
- Good communication and stakeholder management skills, including presentation skills, to communicate clearly, regularly, effectively and meaningfully at the senior level of the organization
- Ability to form arguments and communicate incredibly technical topics in ways that land the point
- Experience using Git and GitHub
- Exposure to Optimisation type of business problems
- Business acumen – interested in the business applications of the model not just the techniques behind the models themselves
- Knowing when to stand by and defend your and your team’s work and point of view
- Evidence of great time management
- Experience working in a cloud environment, e.g. Google cloud (BigQuery / data proc)
- Proof of coming up with original technical approaches for business problems
- Experience in working in a consultant capacity
- Experience in working with Airflow and docker technology
- Familiarity with the e-Gaming industry (Sports betting, Casino, Poker, Bingo, etc.)
- Experience with R coding
Competencies / Behaviours
- Honesty and integrity
- Team spirit
- Fast and keen learner
- Emotional intelligence
Diversity and Equal Opportunities
As a global employer, the client is committed to providing a safe, fun, and inclusive culture where our people feel like they truly belong.
We are a multicultural business that values, celebrates and respects individual differences, so whatever your sexuality, gender, gender identity, ability, age, race, religion or belief, you will have a voice here, and the space to do your best work.
Our diverse internal networks provide the support for you to express your views and make a positive difference, all for the good of entertainment.